Director of Sponsorship Training | SilverCrate
About the instructor
Kelly Bertog, Director of Sponsorship Training for SilverCrate, has over 15 years experience building profitable sponsorship programs for events, small businesses, websites, blogs, TV shows, internet startups, fundraisers, and much more. He has worked in every medium imaginable: from small 100-person networking events, to large-scale music festivals featuring world-class performers such as Kanye West. However his specialty lies in partnering with entrepreneurs, event producers, and small-to-medium size organizations looking to secure $10,000 - $150,000 in annual sponsorship contracts, and providing them with the tools and training to achieve these goals.
As Director of Sponsorship Training, Kelly develops the rigorous training regimen that all SilverCrate Associates must master before they begin developing profitable sponsorship programs on behalf of the company's clients. For the first time ever, he is sharing this exclusive, proprietary training with students of the SilverCrate's 7-Day Event Sponsorship Masterclass.
Our event was doomed...
To be more specific, our event was $8,700 in the red. All my friends and I wanted to do was host a weekend taco festival, and bring some delicious fun to an otherwise dreary abandoned lot in Chicago. What we got instead was a barrage of last-minute overages and unforeseen expenses. New to event production, we had not yet learned to pad our budgets to account for these scenarios, and were now facing a huge problem: though tickets to the event were nearly sold out, this money (even when combined with our projected bar sales) was no longer going to cover our expenses. With less than a month to go, we needed cash, and we needed it bad.
This Event Was Heading for Disaster
So we did what any resourceful event producers would do: solicit sponsors! We spent the next few days putting together our proposal, complete with 3 different tiered sponsorship packages: Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Breathing a preemptive sigh of relief, we sent this proposal out to over 500 local businesses (yes, 500!), sat back and waited for the money to start rolling in.
4 weeks later we tallied up the results. Our neat little sponsorship packages had netted us a grand total of…$0. That's right. Zero. Absolutely nothing. We had failed to secure a single sponsor!
Our sponsor tracking worksheet from that event.
The column in red with all the "X's"? That's every sponsor lead who said no...all 530 rows of them.
And so the three of us, all college students looking to make some summer cash producing our own festival, learned a very expensive lesson. Even though our event sold out, our failure with sponsorships meant we were each forced to shell out over $3,000 to cover all our remaining expenses.
Does this scenario sound familiar? What has your failed sponsorship program cost your event or organization?
From that day over 10 years ago, I vowed to determine exactly where we had gone wrong with sponsorships, and do everything in my power to ensure no other event producer, entrepreneur, charity, or small organization experienced the same devastating lesson we received that summer. I wanted to decode the mystery of sponsorships, and share the secrets with everyone who had experienced this same pain. My path was set, and it was time to dive headfirst into sponsorships…
Over the last decade, my career in sponsorships has taken me across the globe. From major music festival production for firms such as Sony and Live Nation, to managing sponsorships and marketing relationships for one of the world's fastest ecommerce start-ups, and finally to where I am today, serving as the Director of Sponsorship Training for the Sponsorship Management Firm SilverCrate.
My current role gives me the privilege and responsibility of showing all our teams the most effective tactics and tools for building profitable sponsorship programs, providing them with the resources they need to start creating successful sponsorship programs on behalf of our clients. This training is the culmination of the last 10+ years I’ve spent learning from that costly summer mistake, and pulls together all the best information gleaned from my time developing profitable sponsorship programs for everyone from Fortune 500 firms and Internet Retailer Top 200 companies, to independent event producers, regional sports teams, small charitable organizations and more.
My passion for sponsorships has lead me to the position of Director of Sponsorship Training for SilverCrate, a leading sponsorship management service.
A few years back, while in the middle of overhauling my sponsorship training program for the new hires at SilverCrate, I had an epiphany. While this robust sponsorship training regimen had certainly paid off well for the company, and had allowed me to achieve my original goal of decoding the mysteries of sponsorships, I was still not reaching the vast network I had promised to help 10 years earlier. I had made a vow to learn the absolute best ways to succeed with sponsorships, and share this information with entrepreneurs, event producers, and small organizations across the globe, so that they could avoid the painful lesson I had learned.
It was time to make good on this promise. In order to expand my reach, I had to build a program that would allow me to share this training with anyone, at any time, anywhere in the world...
And so with nearly a year of development and refinement, The Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Sponsorship Masterclass was born!
How It Works
The Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass is more than just an in-depth training on building a profitable event sponsorship program. It's a step-by-step workshop designed to give you everything you need to start finding sponsors for your events in 30 days or less.
Each daily lesson is comprised of two components: The Instruction and The Action. During the instruction phase of each lesson, you'll participate in several accelerated video trainings. All substance and zero fluff, these trainings are generally no more than 10-20 minutes in length, and will provide you with decades' worth of sponsorship expertise and best practices, condensed down to the core elements needed to build your own successful program.
Course Content Is Available On-Demand Across Any Device
After the instruction phase of the lesson, you'll move on to The Action. In this phase, we show you exactly how to take what you just learned in your video trainings, and apply it directly to YOUR sponsorship program.
This means that by the end of the 30-day course, you will have already developed all the following sponsorship tools and templates for YOUR specific event:
- [Your Event Name Here] Value Proposition Statement
- [Your Event Name Here] Target Audience Profile
- [Your Event Name Here] Sponsorship Inventory (what you can sell)
- [Your Event Name Here] Sponsorship Price List (what you should charge)
- [Your Event Name Here] Sponsorship Proposal
- [Your Event Name Here] List of Qualified Sponsor Leads
- [Your Event Name Here] Sponsor Email/Letter Solicitation Templates
- [Your Event Name Here] Sponsorship Implementation Breakdown
- [Your Event Name Here] Sponsor Report Template
The Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass will guide you step-by-step through the creation of all these tools, meaning that when you complete the course, you'll have all these documents ready to go. No more waiting. No more trial and error. You'll have everything you need to begin your journey towards landing deals and creating new revenue streams through sponsorships.
What You'll Learn
While certainly not easy, everyone we train comes to understand that sponsorships are a relatively simple concept. At their core, sponsorships are nothing more than leveraged value: leveraging the value of the sponsor (brand), the sponsee (event/charity/sports team/etc.), and the fans in a way where everyone wins.
In order to maximize your ability to create this leverage valued, our instruction will focus on providing you with several core sponsorship skill sets, including:
- Understanding what drives brands to sponsor events and other opportunities
- Creating and articulating your value proposition
- Identifying and quantifying your Target Market(s)
- Building your inventory of Sponsorship Assets - i.e. "what you can sell" (Hint: it’s a lot more than a logo on a website)
- Pricing your sponsorship assets to maximize profitability
- Identifying the most qualified sponsor leads
- Building your sponsorship offers (and saying goodbye to those generic “Silver, Gold, Platinum” packages)
- Creating the perfect Sponsorship Proposal
- Writing the perfect Sponsorship Pitch Letter/Email
- Tracking sponsor return-on-investment (ROI), writing sponsor reports, and turning one-time sponsors into recurring-revenue
These skills, taught in-depth over the course of the 30-day program, will place you in an elite class of sponsorship seekers, and ensure you never again feel the pain of being unable to generate any significant sponsorship revenue for your events and programs.
During the course of the 30-day training, students of the Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass follow a finely-tuned lesson plan, ensuring each training builds logically on what was learned in days prior.
By maintaining a sharp focus on teaching only the most effective and up-to-date sponsorship methods, we are able to keep each daily lesson and exercise to about 30-60 minutes in length. And since all the course content is on-demand, it can be taken where and when it's most convenient for you.
Below is a detailed breakdown of each training module, and the skills gained as students move through the course:
- Understanding What Drives a Brand to Sponsor Events
- How Sponsorships Fit Into the Marketing Mix
- Importance of Customer Lifecycle
- Importance of Sponsor Lifecycle
- Preparing to Build Your Sponsorship Program
- Your Team & Resources
- Policies & Procedures
- Sponsorship Strategy
- Defining Your “Property” (i.e. Your Event, Fundraiser, etc.)
- What Makes Your Event Unique and Special?
- How Do Others View Your Event?
- Who Makes Up Your Audience?
- Defining Your Target Market(s)
- Demographic and Psychographic Data
- Knowing Your Audience Better Than They Know Themselves
- How to Conduct Audience Polling
- Reaching Your Target Markets
- Understanding the Importance of Your Marketing Plan to Sponsors
- Understanding ALL the Things You Have to Offer
- Which Items Matter Most to Sponsors
- Knowing Who Sponsors Can Reach Through Your Event(s)
- Creating an Inventory of Assets (and offering more than just signage and website logos)
- Sponsorship Asset Brainstorming Ideas
- How to Build Your Sponsor Prospect List
- Understanding Which Companies Will Be Most Receptive
- Expanding Your List of Sponsor Leads
- Competitor Research
- Market Research
- Vetting & Ranking Your Sponsor Leads
- Finding the Decision Makers at Your Target Companies (and Avoiding the Gatekeepers)
- Finding Contact Information for Your Prospects
- Leveraging Informational Meetings & Calls
- Understand the Needs of Your Prospects
- Showcasing Your Knowledge of the Brand
- Creating Your Offer (i.e. Your Sponsorship Package)
- Knowing Which Collection of Assets Can Help Prospects Achieve Their Goals
- How to Price Your Offers and Assets
- Building Your Unique Sponsorship Proposal
- The Real Purpose of Sponsorship Proposals
- Using the SilverCrate Sponsorship Proposal Template
- Understanding the Sponsorship Sales Cycle
- Negotiation, Bonuses, Incentives, and Other Conversion Tools
- Keeping Things Legal with Sponsorship Agreements
- Bonus Trainings:
- Tracking Sponsor Return-on-Investment
- Sponsor Post-Event Reporting
- Turning One-Time Sponsors into Recurring Revenue
What's Included in the Course?
Students of the Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass will receive ALL the following tools, trainings, and bonuses:
- Unlimited, on-demand access to over 30 exclusive videos trainings
- Downloadable daily worksheets and assignments designed to walk you step-by-step in the development of your own profitable sponsorship program
- Our exclusive Sponsorship Proposal PowerPoint Template (the one we use at SilverCrate for nearly every one of our professional clients)
- Our exclusive Sponsorship Report PowerPoint Template (giving sponsors exactly what they need to see after an event, ensuring they come back to sponsor again and again)
- Unlimited access to email support staff to answer any questions
- One 30-minute one-on-one phone or Skype consultation with a SilverCrate Sponsorship Activation Expert to discuss the specifics of your unique program, and ensure it’s optimized for success
- Our 90-Day Risk-Free Guarantee
- The complete "Six-Figure Sponsorships Toolkit" full of proprietary sponsorship program development tools, including:
- Sponsor Outreach Email Template Archive
- Sponsorship Asset Pricing Excel Workbook
- Sponsorship Implementation Tracking Excel Workbook
- Sponsor Lead Ranking Excel Workbook
- Sponsorship Agreement Template
Students gain access to an unmatched selection of sponsorship tools, trainings, templates and more
With our mission to help as many entrepreneurs, event producers, charities, and small organizations as we possibly can profit through sponsorships, we only succeed when our students succeed. That is why the Six-Figure Sponsorships Masterclass is backed by a full 180-Day Risk-Free Guarantee.
If you complete the course, launch your sponsorship program, and are for any reason unable to secure the increased sponsorship revenue you are seeking, we’ll refund your money – no questions asked.
We know this course pays for itself through increased sponsorship revenue, plain and simple. That is why we are willing to put our money where our mouth is, and offer up this no-questions-asked guarantee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who’s this course for?
This course was built with small-to-medium size events in mind. Whether you run a small Meetup group that hosts monthly networking events, operate a regional racing team, are hosting your charity's annual fundraising dinner, or produce a series of Food Truck festivals for 25,000 people, the concepts in this course will help you develop a proven, profitable sponsorship program for these events.
Will this help me get sponsorships for my [blog, chess club, podcast, etc.]?
While geared towards small-to-medium size events, the lessons we teach in the Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass are applicable across a wide range of activities. In fact, this course has been used in as diverse applications as Mommy Bloggers looking to find sponsors for their content, athletes searching for endorsement and ambassador sponsorship deals, and musicians seeking sponsors and grants for their ensembles. As long as your [blog, chess club, podcast, etc.] is creating value, the lessons taught throughout the course can show you how to leverage it to gain sponsorships.
How much time does it take to complete the course?
The Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass was set up to be completed over the course of 30 days, with each day’s module taking about 45 minute to an hour to complete.
What if I can’t study every day? Can I catch up?
Of course! Content and lessons are released in weekly blocks, meaning you have the entire week to work you way through approximately 5-7 hours worth of training. While we suggest focusing your efforts on small daily lessons, some students choose to spread work out to every other day, or even once a week on Sunday. It’s completely up to you.
Also, content will be available on-demand for the lifetime of the course, meaning you can return weeks or even months later to re-watch lessons and download tools and other course materials.
I'm too busy for this...is there a shortcut?
We know that as entrepreneurs, fundraisers, and heads of organizations, you're incredibly busy. That's why we've designed this course to work around your schedule. Though there's a new lesson each day of the masterclass, everything is on-demand, meaning you can dive in wherever and whenever it's most convenient for you.
Featuring all substance and zero fluff, the Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass is more than just a course; it's a step-by-step program designed to save you countless hours when it comes time to solicit sponsors for your events. Each day, our lesson plan will bring you that much closer to a completed sponsorship program, ensuring that by the 30th day, you'll have all the documents, tools, and most importantly - the knowledge - to go out and successfully secure sponsors.
Is it a commitment? Yes. But so is everything else in life worth doing. Most of our students run businesses, chair organizations, take care of their family, run side hustles, and have many other responsibilities and obligations. But they're still able to set aside 45 minutes to an hour each day to work with us on building their sponsorship program. Because they know that in the end, the success they'll achieve with an effective sponsorship program will be worth every second they put into this course.
What if it doesn’t work?
We are so confident that you – like all the students that have taken this course – will earn back your investment through increased sponsorship sales, that we offer a no-questions-asked 180-Day Risk-Free Guarantee.
If you complete the course and are still unable to achieve successful results with your sponsorship program, we’ll refund your entire course fee, no questions asked!
Is this course tax-deductible?
Potentially. Depending on your employment status and unique tax situation, you may be able to write off some or all of the course fee as continuing education or work expenses.
Disclaimer: Please note that we are not accountants, nor do we pretend to be! Everyone’s tax situation is unique to them, and we cannot say with any certainty that this course is or is not tax deductible. Please speak with your tax professional to discuss specifics. Thanks!
Are you ready to stop spinning your wheels with half-hearted efforts to secure sponsors for your events? Are you ready to develop a robust knowledge of the most widely-accepted best practices, tools, and techniques that events across the globe are using to earn 6-figures or more in sponsorships?
Great! Then join us for our upcoming spring session of the Six-Figure Sponsorships 30-Day Masterclass. Click the link below to reserve one of the remaining seats today!
Sign Up Now.
Still have questions? Please feel free to email Kelly or the SilverCrate Sponsorship Training Department directly:
Kelly Bertog - Director of Sponsorship Training: firstname.lastname@example.org
SilverCrate Sponsorship Training Department: email@example.com
Reserve Your Seat Below
- How to Find the Decision Makers (and Avoid Gatekeepers)
- Finding Contact Information for Your Leads
- Leveraging Informational Calls and Meetings
- Understanding Your Prospects Needs
- Creating Your Offer
- How to Price Your Sponsorships
- Creating Your Sponsorship Proposal
- Sponsorship Asset Pricing Workbook
- SilverCrate Sponsorship Proposal PowerPoint Template